Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sandwiches

Okay, this may seem a trivial topic for discussion, but here goes:

My grandfather had definite ideas about what food he wanted to eat.  He hated rice, once screaming in a KFC restaurant with curse words when he found rice on the side of one of his chicken pieces.  He never told me why he hated rice and I've often wondered if it had something to do with World War II.  He never ate anything except white bread and yeast rolls for bread so far as I know.  One of his regular meal ideas was to put a slice of white bread on a plate and douse it in milk.  (Something I'd never try as I am not a fish and like my bread solid, not soggy.)  Lastly, he had a fondness for pickle & cheese sandwiches.

I will admit to trying this idea.  I'm not vegetarian, but the novelty of the sandwich attracted me as a kid and I still eat them a couple of times annually.  Just two slices of bread with swiss cheese and sliced dill pickles in between.  American cheese is too soft in texture and taste for this application and sweet pickles taste gross.

Do you have any strange dishes that friends or relatives have taught you to like?

On a similar note I did try the milk and Pepsi drink that was shown on the Lavern & Shirley show when I was a kid.  I think I'll stick to just milk, skim at that, and leave the Pepsi for people who like sweet drinks.  I would say I drink Coke, but that is very occasional and usually when I have a headache or just need caffeine.

As I said, this isn't the biggest topic to discuss, but at this very moment it needed to be said.  Grandad is in the nursing home and I'll likely never see him again.  I doubt anyone has made him a decent sandwich in years... and that kinda irks me.  I must remember to note that in my living will- drip feed my comatose body with a decent sandwich from time to time.  If nothing else I believe pureed pickles and cheese will wake me up...

No comments:

Post a Comment