Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kittens and Children

Just a short note on a subject in front of my mind these past few days: how kittens are like children.  I know you're going to think me dense, especially as having had many different kinds of pets growing up, but I really thought I could handle the new rescue kitten in my life.  I've never been shy around children, and I enjoy their energy, so I figured the kitten would be fun in much the same way.  A few weeks later I can tell you my whole position on the subject has altered.  I now feel it is well I do not have children of my own- unless I also had stock in Yale or another lock-making company.

His name is Nemo (after the Jules Verne captain, not the film fish) and he is a spelunker.  Where I didn't have doors I had to put them up.  Where I had doors I have had to install child-proof locks.  Counters aren't safe- I've moved all my knick-knacks to cupboards.  Scratches, claw marks and paw prints decorate my formerly shiny, waxed surfaces.  I am only relieved that he hasn't discovered the joys of curtain climbing.

So as I write this I have him locked into the office with me.  You try concentrating while locked in a room with a hyper kitten, a space heater and a litterbox...

No comments:

Post a Comment